The start-up meeting of EU Northern Periphery and Arctic (NPA) Program project titled Utilisation of the Arctic Sea Urchin Resource (URCHIN) was hosted by Nofima in Tromsø on May 19-21, 2015. The project partners came from the Northern Periphery area including Ireland, Iceland, Norway, Greenland and Canada and the project duration is three years.
The project aims to utilise the sea urchin resource present in the northern Arctic regions. The specific challenges that will be addressed include improving urchin fishing techniques, sustainable and responsible harvesting and management of stocks and creation of legislation and supply chains for sea urchin products from isolated areas.
The NPA program has a strong focus on innovation and national and transnational technology transfer this will be used to encourage the development of the urchin fishery and the entry and participation of small and medium enterprises into the urchin fishery throughout the NPA area.
- Nofima, Norway
- Matis, Iceland
- Galway Mayo Institute of Technology; Ireland
- Marine Research Institute, Iceland
- Arctic Caviar AS, Norway
- Thorisholmi, Iceland
- Royal Greenland, Greenland
- Greenland Institute of Natural Sciences, Greenland
- Scottish Association of Marine Sciences, Scotland
- Lyngsskjellan AS, Norway
- Treanbeg Shellfish Ltd, Ireland
- Mullaghmore Sea farm Ltd, Ireland
- Bord Iascaigh Mhara, (Irish Sea Fisheries Board), Ireland
- NAFC Marine Centre, Shetland
For more information, please contact Gudrun G. Thorarinsdotti, email@example.com at Marine Research Institute